Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Motivation in the Classroom


Before you can understand how to motivate your students in your classroom, look back on your educational experiences and think about a time you felt motivated. Why did you feel motivated? Was there a certain teacher that inspired you to learn? And if so, what were some of their characteristics? And also think about someone who has succeeded academically, but might have been faced with a difficulty during their journey, how do you think they stayed motivated? 
                  I know throughout my educational history many times I have felt motivated to learn. One specific time was when I was studying a foreign language. The reason I think I was so motivated was because the language and the idea of being able to speak another language was all new to me. I found the class very interesting and somewhat challenging, which I think made me work harder at it. I also had many terrific teachers throughout my education, some teachers made the class fun and interesting for the students to get excited about the subject. While other teachers just let their kind and caring personality come through in the classroom. The teachers that inspired me the most were the ones who helped me, showed compassion towards me and even tried to get to know me. Some teachers held high standards for the class or there were high standards for a specific club I wanted to get into, so I was motivated to learn because I had a purpose. 
I do know a couple of people who have succeeded academically. I know that in order for them to stay motivated they had to keep thinking about their future and what they wanted out of life. For some they wanted a better life than their parents and they wanted to receive the higher education, others wanted a certain job. For a couple their motivation was more just for themselves, like for example graduating with honors.
After you think about what motivated you and how others were motivated, try to incorporate some of the techniques that your teachers might have used to help you into your own classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment